hc-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Http components to Network components ?
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:23:46 GMT
Hi,
I'd like to propose something which came up during the current talks on
Jakarta's future.

One suggestion was that instead of creating Jakarta Http Components,
this group could be Jakarta Network Components.

In essence, this would mean adopting commons-net
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net).

The idea is based on a premise that http and net (ftp/finger/smtp...)
might share common interests and could thus form a common community.

The downside is that it may distract this group from its current plans,
and it may also be that no-one here is that interested in ftp/smtp/nntp
etc. Also, commons-net is a mature product with relatively little
community - one which might benefit from a broader outlook.

Anyway, please consider this as a brainstorm idea. Nothing is being
forced on you. Think of it as an opportunity if you guys are interested.
If not, then at least the suggestion was made!

Stephen
PS. I'm aware that this discussion might have been better a few months
ago...