hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents][HttpCore] EntityGenerator and EntityWriter interfaces revisited
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:40:55 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> One of the complaints about HttpCore API we have been unable to resolve
> so far is an asymmetry between the process of entity serialization
> (represented by the EntityWriter interface) and that of entity
> de-serialization (represented by the EntityGenerator interface) was .

Did I complain loudly? I thought that was just in my mind :-)
Seriously, I had also spend some brief thoughts about that point,
but I don't remember reading anything about it on the mailing list.
I guess you have gathered feedback elsewhere.

> (1) Rename EntityWriter to HttpEntitySerializer and EntityGenerator to
> HttpEntityDeserializer (I am open to different (better) names).

Fine by me. No better names jump into my mind.

> (2) The HttpEntitySerializer will be required to set (override if
> needed) the 'Transfer-Encoding' and 'Content-Length' headers to ensure
> the integrity of the underlying HTTP connection

The Transfer-Encoding header is the responsibility of the transport
layer, I have no problem with having it set by the serializer. For the
Content-Length header, I would prefer to see an exception thrown if an
inappropriate header has been set explicitly. For both, actually.

cheers,
  Roland