hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: The Logging Non-Problem
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:14:34 GMT
Hi Oleg,

>>In http-async, I have background threads switching states and (beginning
>>in March) performing callbacks to application code. The operations of
>>these threads can not be logged appropriately by http-client. Throwing
>>exceptions is also pointless in background threads.
>
> I respectfully disagree. There are very simple but effective mechanisms
> to propagate exceptions from background threads to the controller
> thread.

Any that do not rely on the controller thread to pick up the exception?
You seem to be trustful regarding the skills of application developers,
but I have a different mindset. I expect at least some of the application
developers to completely screw up thread synchronization, to deadlock
their threads or loose notifications, and then to blame http-async for
their freezing applications. I trust the log statements I put into my
code, but never the application. The log output will prove *them* wrong :-)

>> Besides, I can't
>>throw an exception in case of a deadlock or similar misbehavior.
>
> Why not?

Because the thread that should throw the exception is locked dead.

> Neither do I. There are enough tools that can take care of all the dirty
> work for us.

I don't trust tools either :-)
Have you seen "Conan the Barbarian"? Little Conan's father
points to the steel sword and says: "This, you can trust."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082198/quotes

>>hope that the developers didn't forget to put in the one log statement
>>that would help me.
>
> What if they did? ;-)

Then I curse the developers, start up the laptop and have a look directly
into the source code of our product to see what might have gone wrong or
what kind of second-rate logging information is available ;-)

cheers,
  Roland