hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Http components to Network components ?
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:09:33 GMT
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 10:17 -0500, Ryan Smith wrote:
> Hi Roland ,
>
> >[...]
> >There is some potential for generalizing things. A network layer is
> >one example: SSL/TLS and SOCKS support for all network components.
> >The HttpParams stuff is another example, or maybe commons-net has
> >their own parameter framework which we'd have to merge.
> >But generalizing and changing all network components to use the new
> >APIs is a lot of work and even more discussion. Currently, Oleg is
> >doing almost all the coding on HttpComponents and all on HttpClient,
> >and I'm helping him a little with HttpComponents. Others are providing
> >valuable feedback, reviews and suggestions, but they are not driving
> >development. The two of us are not enough to come up with a complete
> >HttpComponents in the near future, let alone to take over even more
> >code that needs refactoring.
> >Unless a whole bunch of active developers are moving over with the
> >code, I am very much in disfavor of a change that would in essence
> >mean generating plenty of work nobody will be doing.
> >
> >cheers,
> >  Roland
>
> What should i do first if I would like to offer help to the http
> components project?

Hi Ryan,

Just hang around the mailing list, keep track of what is being
discussed, participate in discussions, and see what you find most
interesting and closest to your skill set. Sooner or later an
opportunity to contribute to the project will present itself.

Another venue to start contributing to any open-source project is the
issue tracking system. Take a look at the open issues, pick up any
outstanding one that you think you can solve, work on it, and submit a
fix. Sometimes, going after simplest bugs is the best strategy to work
yourself into the project: you will learn how to get the latest code
snapshot, run unit tests, create patches, and ultimately your way around
the code base.

There is plenty of work that needs to be done. It is just a matter of
finding something to work on that will keep you motivated

Cheers,

Oleg