hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Http components to Network components ?
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:43:31 GMT
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 23:23 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to propose something which came up during the current talks on
> Jakarta's future.
>
> One suggestion was that instead of creating Jakarta Http Components,
> this group could be Jakarta Network Components.
>
> In essence, this would mean adopting commons-net
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net).
>
> The idea is based on a premise that http and net (ftp/finger/smtp...)
> might share common interests and could thus form a common community.
>

> The downside is that it may distract this group from its current plans,
> and it may also be that no-one here is that interested in ftp/smtp/nntp
> etc. Also, commons-net is a mature product with relatively little
> community - one which might benefit from a broader outlook.

Stephen,

Can we expect any of the existing Commons [Net] committers to join the
project if we took the Commons [Net] on board? Would they be willing to
split the code base into a separate module per a network protocol?
Otherwise wouldn't it be kind of silly if we had almost a dozen modules
dedicated to various aspects of HTTP and one module containing all other
protocols (ftp, smtp, finger, and so on)?

Oleg