hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: convention for exception messages?
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:46:01 GMT
On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 17:34 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have just noticed that Oleg is changing some exceptions messages
> I wrote in http-core, which makes me wonder whether there is a
> convention. I am used to two conventions:
>
> 1. all lowercase without punctuation at end of sentence
> 2. Correctly capitalized and with punctuation.
>
> For HTTP components, I've been using version 1 because it is
> more informal (and saves 1 char per exception message :-).
> Oleg, you are using capitalization without punctuation, which
> feels somehow strange to me.
>
> So, is there a convention to which I have to adjust in http-async?
> Of course I'll stick to the current style when writing code for
> http-core in the future.

Roland,

There's no formal convention I know of. It can be either way as long as
it is consistent across the same module. I did vandalize some of the
exception messages you wrote originally to make them more consistent
with the rest of HttpCore while tweaking some of the code in those
classes and take full responsibility for this atrocity.

I do admit I have a rather unusual coding style. I tend to use 'final'
modifier for local variables and like to mark instance variables with
'this.' I have no intention of forcing the same convention on anyone
else, though

Cheers,

Oleg