hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] web site
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:57:36 GMT
Hi Oleg,

good start indeed. Some minor suggestions:

[Description -> Standards Compliance]
I would rephrase the sentence as "HttpComponents strives to conform to...".
Never promise more than you can deliver :-)

In the menu for both modules, can you add a link to the main page
for HttpComponents? There is one to the right of the status line
(which doesn't work in the preview), but that is not where I would
normally look for it. Our current page also has a "Home" link that
takes you to the commons main page as the top item in the menu.

[HttpAsync -> Description -> Overview]
The HttpAsync component provides an asynchronous interface for
client side HTTP communication, which seperates the sending of a
request from the receiving of the response. This simplifies
development of multithreaded HTTP applications and allows for
new features such as pipelining.

I agree with Mike that we should have a dummy module for HttpClient.
I also think we should have dummies for the other planned modules, in
particular HttpCookie and HttpAuth. It will help people to understand
which features are *not* to be expected in HttpCore.

Regarding goals and scopes, I divert from Mike's suggestion. Instead
of having a section that talks about HttpClient deficiencies and then
adds details on how we want to address them, I would prefer to
state goals and then add details about the HttpClient deficiencies
from which these goals are derived. Simply reversing the headlines
of the current page would already help:

[Componentized Design]
[Cleanly structured API]
[Minimal external dependencies]

instead of

[Monolithic design of Commons HttpClient]
[Inherent API deficiencies]
[External dependencies]

cheers,
  Roland