hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kim B. Andersen" <KI...@tdc.dk>
Subject SV: SV: Slow to open connection after an hour or so
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:16:46 GMT
Hi

I have never seen this line(Unable to get a connection, waiting...) in the log, so I don't
think that the problem. I have method.releaseconnection() in finally.

I don't have control over the target machine, but I don't think they perform dynamic connection
rate limiting.

Oleg thinks it's the ssl handshake thats the problem. I have send another mail containing
ssl handshake debug.
Ssl handshake contain a certification chain after an hour but not before an hour. What this
means I don't know - any ideas?

Kim Andersen

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Ortwin Glück [mailto:odi@odi.ch]
Sendt: 6. januar 2006 13:47
Til: HttpClient Project
Emne: Re: SV: Slow to open connection after an hour or so

Kim B. Andersen wrote:
> httpclient client = new hhtpClient();
> method = new getMethod(url);
> client.execute(method);
> method.releaseconnection();

Please put a finally clause around releaseConnection, just to make sure
it is called even when an exception occurs.

> How can I see if the pool is empty?

If you get a line in the log like:
Unable to get a connection, waiting...
then the pool is empty.

> * Maybe attach a debugger / profiler or use jconsole
> I have never played with these tools so I don't no how at the moment. I will try to look
into it, but if you can recommend some website to read or describe how to - I would appreciated
alot.

Sorry, we are not offering free online courses in software engineering.
Please use other resources.

> First hour
>
> 2006/01/03 14:46:49:926 CET [DEBUG] HttpConnection - Open connection to fastnetselvbetjening.tdconline.dk:443
> 2006/01/03 14:46:50:038 CET [DEBUG] header - >> "GET /Krump/Alivetest.do?ws HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"

> After the first hour
>
> 2006/01/04 07:58:50:230 CET [DEBUG] HttpConnection - Open connection to fastnetselvbetjening.tdconline.dk:443
> 2006/01/04 07:58:59:230 CET [DEBUG] header - >> "GET /Krump/Alivetest/alivetester1.html
HTTP/1.1[\r][\n]"

That's definitely helpful. The connection pool is apparently NOT the
problem. But it takes longer when actually opening the connection. As to
why that happens I can only speculate. Do you have control over the
target host? Is it possible that they perform some dynamic connection
rate limiting?

Cheers

Ortwin Glück