hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject HttpComponents: entities and connections
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:53:25 GMT
Hi Oleg,

I am wondering how to detect whether a response entity has been read
completely, or whether the rest of the response needs to be skipped
before the connection can be re-used?

While reading the source of the client connection and entity generator
in this context, I also realized that the entity handling is quite
different from what I had expected. The biggest problem I see with the
current design is that the outgoing transport encoding is handled for
the request entities by RequestContent (for the header) *and* by the
EntityWriter (for the streams), and that incoming transport encoding
is handled by the EntityGenerator. I thought that interpretation of
response headers is the responsibility of the response interceptors
and the layers above, like method director and application. But some
of it is done in the connection.

I assume that this design was driven by the goal to have a connection
which is useful without the RequestExecutor, and which does not expose
a mutable interface for the response. But the result is asymmetric and
has a somewhat fuzzy arrangement of responsibilities. I don't have an
alternative to offer yet, just wanted to let you know that my thoughts
are spinning around this point.

cheers,
  Roland