hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FilePart Buffer Size of 4096
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:25:35 GMT
S. Aden wrote:
> There seems to be quite a lot of magic numbers being used in the HTTP
> Client 3.0 code. One that caught my eye in particular is the hard
> coded buffer size of 4096 in the FilePart class's sendData() method.
> The content of the file stream is read in 4096 byte chunks and then
> written to the output stream (socket). I was wondering if there is any
> reason for doing this? Perhaps the buffer size should be configurable
> property of the FilePart class?

What is the reason one would want to change this value in the first
place? This is just an intermediate read buffer, which should neither be
too small (for performance rreasons) nor too big (for memory footprint
reasons), but otherwise is *completely* irrelevant, because it has no
bearing of what so ever on the internal socket send buffer (SO_SNDBUF)
or IP packet size.

Oleg