hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why is Part Content-Length Missing?
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:19:46 GMT
S. Aden wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response. RFC 1867 stats the following which
> leads me to believe that while it is not mandatory that Content-Length
> be present it is optional and recommended. Perhaps I am missing
> something?
>
> "The HTTP protocol may require a content-length for the overall
> transmission. Even if it were not to do so, HTTP clients are
> encouraged to supply content-length for overall file input so that a
> busy server could detect if the proposed file data is too large to be
> processed reasonably and just return an error code and close the
> connection without waiting to process all of the incoming data.  Some
> current implementations of CGI require a content-length in all POST
> transactions."

This paragraph refers to the content delimitation of the HTTP entity
enclosing requests (the content length of the entire HTTP packet). The
mulpart/form-data encoding has nothing to do with HTTP transport. The
relevant specs are

RFC 2388 (Returning Values from Forms:  multipart/form-data)
http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc2388.html

RFC 1521 (MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) Part One:
Mechanisms for Specifying and Describing the Format of Internet Message
Bodies)
http://rfc.dotsrc.org/rfc/rfc1521.html

Hope this helps

Oleg