hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: http-async use cases
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:15:43 GMT

Roland Weber wrote:
> The problem I see is to get CPU time for sending requests and detecting
> NIO can help to reduce the number of background threads, but that in turn
> reduces concurrency: the connections will compete for processing time
> from the shared threads. That's why I think that there should be different
>  * IO+many threads for best response times
>  * NIO+few threads for resource efficiency

This problem could be addressed by dynamic allocation of threads:
Start with one thread that handles connections with NIO. This is done in
a selector loop. Continuously measure the wait-time vs. the processing
time. If this ratio exceeds a certain limit for a long enough time then
spawn another processing thread. If the ratio is low enough for a long
enough time then reduce the amount of threads.

It's not so easy to implement probably, but if done well can make an
extremely scalable system.

Odi

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/