hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Derek Sweet" <de...@arizonabay.com>
Subject Problems under heavy load
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:54:30 GMT
Hello. I developed a class that, through ColdFusion, allows our systems to
asynchronously post to a dynamicaly defined set of pages. As each response
comes in it decides whether or not to end the decisioning process and accept
the page that returned the proper response. The system works fine in
testing, but once we put it up in actual use the servers started crashing
and the following errors appeared in our logs:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Method has been aborted
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.checkExecuteConditions(Lorg.apa
che.commons.httpclient.HttpState;Lorg.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnecti
on;)V(HttpMethodBase.java:952)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(Lorg.apache.commons.htt
pclient.HttpState;Lorg.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection;)I(HttpMetho
dBase.java:982)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(Lorg.apach
e.commons.httpclient.HttpMethod;)V(HttpMethodDirector.java:395)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(Lorg.apache.c
ommons.httpclient.HttpMethod;)V(HttpMethodDirector.java:170)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(Lorg.apache.commons.h
ttpclient.HostConfiguration;Lorg.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethod;Lorg.a
pache.commons.httpclient.HttpState;)I(HttpClient.java:396)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(Lorg.apache.commons.h
ttpclient.HttpMethod;)I(HttpClient.java:324)
        at AsyncHTTPSingleton$AsyncHTTP.run()V(AsyncHTTPSingleton.java:163)
        at java.lang.Thread.startThreadFromVM(Ljava.lang.Thread;)V(Unknown
Source)

I have attached the code for the class we're using. Please let me know if
you can provide any insight into the problem. I'm sure it's a memory leak
somewhere or I'm not cleaning up something properly because of how perfectly
it behaves under small loads. Thank you in advance.

Derek