hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: HttpComponents - initial feedback
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:16:22 GMT

Roland Weber wrote:
> That's why I rated this as esoteric. You can implement any kind of
> protocol via JNI. The protocols I can think of are either not meant
> for HTTP, or can be mapped to the Socket API. The best I can come
> up with here are pipes, but why should anybody want to use HTTP
> via pipes?
> The mail about a native implementation of SSL sockets a few days ago
> made me think of this. On second thoughts, they were still providing
> java.net.Socket, they just couldn't create the SSL socket on top of
> an existing Java socket.
>
> Back in the old days, when working on my diploma thesis and before,
> I was programming on an operating system for a message passing
> parallel computer. We didn't have anything like TCP/IP there, but
> an OS specific communication infrastructure. Of course there was no
> Java either :-) But that's why I am sometimes thinking queer and
> non-TCP, like in this case.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Roland,

Thanks for explaining. But I think we should not start to implement
purely academic scenarios. It only leads to overengineered architecture
and adds complexity that is otherwise unecessary. In the end it scares
people and make the API harder to use. Unless nobody comes up and asks
if we can support HTTP over IPX or something, I wouldn't bother.

Odi