hc-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-httpclient Wiki] Update of "UseCases/AsyncFireAndForget" by RolandWeber
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:49:08 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-httpclient Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by RolandWeber:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/UseCases/AsyncFireAndForget

New page:
= Use Case: Send Asynchronous Request And Ignore Response =

== Description ==

I want to send a request without blocking the application.
[[BR]]
I don't care about the response to the request.

== Background ==

The requirement for ignoring the response was raised by
[http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpclient-dev/200512.mbox/%3c4397B320.8020101@opensource.lk%3e
Saminda Abeyruwan]
on the developer mailing list.
[[BR]]
It originates from the Web Services scenario
[http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-desc-usecases/#N10173 fire-and-forget].

== Related / Out of Scope ==

 * [wiki:Self:UseCases/SingleAsyncRequest single asynchronous request]
 * [wiki:Self:UseCases/SingleAsyncRequestNotify send a single request asynchronously, with
notification]
 * [wiki:Self:UseCases/AsyncRequestSequence send a request asynchronously, with automatic
follow-up requests]
 * [wiki:Self:UseCases/MultiAsyncRequests multiple asynchronous requests]

= Discussion =

Even though the response is ignored by the application, something has to be done for releasing
the connection
over which it is sent from the server. If the connection should be re-used, the response must
be read.
This raises basically the same questions about threads and responsibilities as does
[wiki:Self:UseCases/AsyncRequestSequence generating follow-up requests],
except that the thread is needed to consume the response.