hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpComponents - initial feedback
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:23:28 GMT
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:02:53AM +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> HttpComponents now compiles without clover.jar. I haven't found
> time to write any code to the new API since I spent most of my
> computer time this week-end with configuring mail tools. From
> randomly skipping through the JavaDocs, I have three comments of
> varying significance:
>
> 1. (cosmetic)
> HttpContext could have a removeAttribute(String), like
> javax.servlet.ServletRequest and javax.portlet.PortletRequest

Agreed.

> 2. (architectural)
> AbstractHttpProcessor should be based on java.util.List rather
> than java.util.Set. I'm sure we'll soon encounter cases where
> the order of interceptors is relevant, for example if multiple
> transfer encodings should be applied. Also, we should not rule
> out that the same interceptor could be applied multiple times,
> for example if it is a sanity-check interceptor for debugging.

Agreed.

> 3. (esoteric)
> I noticed some socket and IP specific methods in HttpClientConnection
> and HttpServerConnection. I admit that this is far-fetched, but HTTP
> is not specific to IP (RFC 2616, section 1.4, last paragraph on
> page 12). I wonder whether it would be much effort to isolate the
> dependencies on java.net.INetAddress and/or java.net.Socket to make
> the HttpComponents API independent of it. If we ever want to do it,
> we should do it now.

I have to say some people already dismissed HttpComponents as a complete
waste because of what they see is excessive abstraction and abuse of
interfaces. I would be a little reluctant to add a whole new level of
abstraction for something that is not backed by a real world application
but let us think it over. Opinions?

Many thanks for the code review

Oleg