hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r353848 - in /jakarta/httpcomponents/trunk/http-core/src: java/org/apache/http/ java/org/apache/http/io/ java/org/apache/http/util/ test/org/apache/http/util/
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:02:07 GMT
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:43:01AM +0100, Ortwin Gl??ck wrote:
> Oleg,
>
> Is it really worth implementing your own number parsing? I don't think
> Integer.parseInt will kill us, honestly.
>
> Odi

Odi,

I am aware this is a questionable decision. The primary motivating
factor was to implement zero (or almost zero) garbage HTTP request
parsing and see if that results in any significant performance gains.

I have run a few tests yesterday and so far the impact of reduced
generation of intermediate objects when parsing HTTP requests seems
minimal for JRE 1.5. So, I am fully prepared to revert this change if
there are no tangble performance gains for older JREs. I would like
to experiment a little further before such a decision is made

Oleg