hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [HttpClient 4.0] Further development
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:51:47 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> Now I am utterly confused as well. I thought the http-asynch per
> definition required a non-blocking HTTP stack? Am I missing something?

I think blocking IO along with one or two background threads for
each connection will provide a suitable implementation for HttpAsync.
NIO can be used to reduce the number of background threads, since
multiple connections can be handled by a single thread. On the down
side, a single thread can only make use of a single CPU of an SMP
server. That's why I think that alternative implementations based
on blocking and non-blocking IO will be useful.

> If so, we just keep the http-nio as a separate module and leave
> http-synch be as it is

Sounds reasonable.

cheers,
  Roland