hc-dev mailing list archives

From Owen Smith <ender...@gmail.com>
Subject Digest problem with IAS using the CONNECT method
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:56:22 GMT
I'm having a problem getting httpclient-rc1 to authenticate using
digest to our IAS server.  I've tried upgrading to rc3 without any
effect.  I also got our IT guys to upgrade IAS without luck.  I was
also able to have the GET method work under IAS and CONNECT to work
with a couple other proxy servers.  After examining ethereal logs for
my (commons) code and firefox to the same URLs I noticed that the
value for the "uri" setting in the "Proxy-Authorization" header was
the only significant difference.  After looking at RFC 2617 I noticed
that in section 3.2.2 (The Authorization Request Header) it states:

digest-uri
The URI from Request-URI of the Request-Line; duplicated here because
proxies are allowed to change the Request-Line in transit.

A re-examination of the headers showed that firefox was matching the
Request-URI with the digest-uri but that httpclient was not.  I tried
modifying the RC3 source to produce a hard-coded value for "uri" and
demonstrated that it would successfully authenticate to that URI.  I
also checked that authentication would fail to any other URI and it
did.  If you give me some hints on how to implement a fix I'll try to
produce a patch and get permission to submit it.

Any help or advice is welcome.  I have the ethereal logs on hand and
can produce wire logs if desired.  Any other tests you guys think will
help I'll try to do as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Owen Smith