hc-dev mailing list archives

From Teja Sai Krishna <saravit...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CLOSE_WAIT state at the client side
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:35:43 GMT
Thanks for your reply. Let met try this option as a quick solution.

Many Thanks
Teja

Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 03:09:39PM +0100, Teja Sai Krishna wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> If I use HTTP 1.0 i.e if i set method.setHttp11(false) this problem should be resolved?

> I mean CLOSE_WAIT state will be disappear automatically if I use HTTP 1.0 ?
>
> Thanks
> Teja

Yes, it should, as this will effectively disable the connection
persistence. If you do not care about performance, this should be a very
quick and reliable fix

Oleg

> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 06:12:46PM +0100, Teja Sai Krishna wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > is method.releaseConnection() will not close these connections?. I thought releaseConnection
will take care of releasing the CLOSE_WAIT connections. method.releaseConnection() method
will not close the connections completely?.

> The purpose of HttpMethod#releaseConnection() method is to inform the
> connection manager that the method no longer needs the connection. The
> connection manager may choose to close the connection depending upon the
> connection reuse policy. Both standard connection managers (simple and
> multithreaded), however, always attempt to keep connections alive per
> default (that is if HTTP/1.1 is being used and no 'connection: close'
> directive has been issued).
>
> > We are using default connection manager and not using any multithreadedConnection
manager.

> > Do we need to implement multi threade connection manager to close these idle connections?
> >

> No, you do not. One can easily use the idle connection handler on the
> simple (non-pooling) connection manager. In your particular case,
> though, you may consider writing a custom connection manager since you
> seem to have application specific requirements as far as connection
> management is concerned
>
> Oleg
>

> > My code looks like this.
> > ---------------------
> >
> > PostMethod method = new PostMethod(url.toExternalForm());
> > DefaultMethodRetryHandler retryHandler = new DefaultMethodRetryHandler();
> > retryHandler.setRetryCount(0);
> > method.setMethodRetryHandler(retryHandler);
> > HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
> > client.setTimeout(rtimeout);
> > try {
> > method.setRequestBody(psRequestMsg);
> > int statusCode = client.executeMethod(method);
> > results = method.getResponseBodyAsString();
> > }
> > catch(ConnectException cex){
> >
> > }catch(Exception e){
> >
> > }finally{
> > method.releaseConnection();
> > }
> >
> > ---------------------
> >
> > Thanks
> > Teja
> >
> > Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 04:48:04PM +0100, Teja Sai Krishna wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have HTTP Client application that connects to the HttpListening Connector,
which runs on weblogic 8.1. I have observed some strange behaviour at my client side connection
states. Once the communication is over, some client side connections are in CLOSE_WAIT state.
Some times I have seen these CLOSE_WAIT connections will disappear after one day. But most
of the times it will not disappear even after one day. I have to kill my application.