hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Jakarta-httpclient Wiki] Update of "NewProjectCharter" by MichaelBecke
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:02:02 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:36:33AM +0200, Ortwin Gl?ck wrote:

> Apache Wiki wrote:
> >+  * {{{ Jakarta Http Components }}} '''MUST''' be content agnostic.
> >The project '''DOES NOT''' develop components intended to produce or
> >consume content of HTTP messages.
>
> I guess Multipart-MIME is considered transport level.

MIME is a transfer encoding not a content encoding (at least imo). So,
we would still be allowed to develop multipart components. This said, I
would rather prefer to migrate multipart related code to Commons Codec.
There's already multipart-codec project in the Commons Sandbox

> >+  * {{{ Jakarta Http Components }}} develops an HTTP connector or a
> >lightweight server component as a reference material to demonstrate
> >the capabilities of the toolset. The said artifacts '''ARE NOT'''
> >meant for production use and are not released as official Apache
> >Jakarta products.
>
> I would rephrase this so it is logically "not client" instead of
> "server" component. This would allow us also to create a proxy
> implementation (which we will need for testing purposes anyway).

A full-fledged HTTP/1.1 compliant caching proxy or reverse proxy would
be a major undertaking and should be developed as a separate project.
Let us keep it out of scope for the time being. We simply have no
resources for such a massive effort.

Oleg