hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cookie matching
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:20:44 GMT
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 07:57:53AM +0000, Samit Jain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is a small bug in the implementation of Cookie class. In
> Cookie#equals(Object), domain matching should be case-insensitive. I think
> it is a good idea to make this change in the Cookie class since it is a bug.
> The other option is implementing Cookie2#equals(Object) so this bug won't
> appear in RFC 2965 implementation.
>
> Whats your opinion on this?
>
> -Samit

Hi Samit,

Technically speaking this is not a bug. The Cookie class always converts
domain attributes to low caps:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/xref/org/apache/commons/httpclient/Cookie.html#233

so, the case sensitive comparison of domain attributes is okay.

However, I do think that cookies should not be compared using the
Object#equals method because the concept of cookie equality can be
cookie spec specific. The cookie spec interface should be extended
to provide a means to compare cookies in the context of the given
spec. That brings me to another topic I wanted to discuss with you.

I'll start a new thread in a minute

Oleg