hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: [HttpCommon] NIO is one huge disappointment
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:00:24 GMT

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Odi,
>
> As soon as I see NIO w/ select outperform old IO by 10-15% at least
> ONCE I may believe this is just a statistical jitter. Until then old IO
> consistently outperforming NIO w/select by 10-15% looks horribly like
> a performance penalty to me ;)

Yes, this is what a reasonable brain does. I tend to think the same way,
even though it is not accurate in scientific terms.

> You are welcome to give System.nanoTime() method a shot which supposedly
> is more precise than System.currentTimeMillis()

Good idea. I have never used it before.

> I have put WAY more effort into writing the damn NIOHttpDataReceiver
> than the entire HTTP coyote connector, and it REALLY pains me to have
> found this code useless (at least in HttpCommon). At the same time I
> rather keep HttpCommon lean and mean, and use NIO where it make sense,
> that is in HttpAsynch.
>
> Oleg

That is a bit of a disappointment of course. But this is only a
laboratory test. With a real load (multiprocessor, many connections,
heavy load) the figures could be the other way round. But see the good
side: you can now exchange the implementation easily now. Your efforts
have certainly not been spent for nothing!

Odi

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/