hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Important things to discuss. Please make your opinion known
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:54:30 GMT
On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:09 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There are three issues that I think we need to discuss:

Folks,
This is my take for what it is worth.

> (1) I inquired with the Jakarta PMC regarding the possibility of the project name change
(Jakarta HttpClient -> Jakarta Http). The reaction was overwhelming negative, primarily
due to high likelihood of branding conflict with Apache HTTPD, which is a very valid point.
We have several options here:

> (1.1) leave Jakarta and join another TLP (either Apache Tomcat or Apache HTTPD) where
_might_ be permitted to call the project jHTTP or some such sort
> (1.2) stay with Jakarta and try to come up with a radically different project name
> (1.3) essentially do nothing and keep the same name. In this case we are likely to not
be permitted to release any lightweight HTTP server or proxy under Jakarta name

My preference is to stay with Jakarta. The amount of trouble I have had
getting HttpClient promoted from a component in Commons to a full
project in Bugzilla was enormous. I personally do not have any strength
left to go through the same exercise again. I am for 1.2 followed by 1.3

As to the project name my preference would be
Jakarta Http Components (and if this also turns out to be a no-no)
Jakarta Haiku
Jakarta HttpAgent

I think Roland generated some really great ideas. We might still want to
run a poll on the general@jakarta before we formally vote on the project
name.

> (2) Migration to JIRA. This finally can happen and happen very soon. The question is
if we still want it. If yes, might have to decide on the project name before the migration
takes place

Jira does provide more capabilities, which can prove very useful.
However, Bugzilla works just fine too and appears well supported these
days. I probably close the request for now until we know how to proceed
further.

> (3) 3.0 release. 3.0rc3 have not had any major bugs reported for quite some time. Do
we want to release another RC4 before the final release or not?

Just sit and wait for another month. If some serious bugs are reported
go RC4. Otherwise go final

Oleg