hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Moran" <bmo...@centeris.com>
Subject HttpClient 3.0 rc3 and NTLM logged on user credentials
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:57:35 GMT
Hi everyone; we had a need to authenticate using NTLM with the default credentials of the logged-in
user, and unfortunately the HttpClient.Auth.NTLM module is expecting credentials to be supplied
in username / password form -- so we built a version of NTLM that uses JNI through the Neon
libraries to get the default credentials (avoids someone having to type in their username
and password if they're already logged in).  NTLM has about a five line modification, and
there's a DLL (built from Neon mainly, with some JNI shim code) that provides the native methods.

I'm not sure if this is of any use to anyone (certainly only works on Win32 platforms), but
it was sure handy for us. Is there a place for it in the project? BTW, it also can take domain\username
and a password (if the logged-in-user's credentials are not good enough) and generates the
NTLM credentials in whatever form was negotiated with the server. Again, that portion only
works on Win32 platforms.

Where would this find a home?

PS. We found that HttpClient RC 3 (w/o the JNI provided credentials) provides difficulty for
  the 1.1.11 version of JCIFS, we're going to try the 1.2.1 real soon now.

Thanks,
Brian Moran
Centeris Corporation