hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [http-common] Progress report: HttpRequestExecutor
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 21:54:02 GMT
Folks,

I have just checked in an example showing the new HttpRequestExecutor
based API. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpclient/trunk/http-
common/src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/HttpRequestExecutorDemo.java

There's no longer any need to subclass standard HTTP methods in order to
add a common aspect to some or all types of HTTP requests. Just
implement the required functionality as a request / response interceptor
and add it to the request executor.

As far as I am concerned http-common is almost feature complete.
Basically only two areas need substantial work: (1) proxy and SSL
tunneling support and (2) what I (for the lack of better term) call a
service discovery framework, that is, a means for object factories to
look up a concrete implementation of a public interface such as
HttpDataTransmitter, HttpClientConnection, and so on. There are several
options that need to be discussed on this list as I suspect this
particular issue may become quite a contentious one.

Besides that, there are still a number of smaller issues here and there
which I plan to tackle in the coming days/weeks. Overall, however, the
http-common API can be considered finished in broad strokes. So PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE start reviewing.

Oleg