hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: DNS vs. IP question
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:17:34 GMT
Hello Dan,

HTTP always ends up on the IP level, sooner or later.
At one time, a connection to the target server has to
be opened, and that means that the IP address of the
server has to be known.
I assume you want to run test cases for hostnames
that are not registered in DNS, and you don't want
to hack the hostnames into /etc/hosts on the machine.
If that is the case, you can install a custom version of
o.a.c.h.protocol.ProtocolSocketFactory. That is the
place where hostname strings go in, and sockets
come out. There, you can implement your own mapping
from hostnames to IP addresses, without using DNS.

hope that helps,
  Roland

"Dan Levine" <dlevine@captara.com>
29.04.2005 00:05
Please respond to
"HttpClient Project"

<httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
DNS vs. IP question

Hello,

First of all, thank you for HttpClient.  I am working with HtmlUnit Web
testing framework, and appreciate the underlying base this provides.

For some tests I want to set up, I need to have the Web client call pages
via IP but act as if it is using a DNS.  (i.e. cookies etc behave as if
were
DNS, but the actual http calls fetch pages via IP.)  According to an
engineer I work with, this is common functionality for mock Web clients.
If
this functionality is exposed through HttpClient I'll work on
incorporating
that into HtmlUnit.  Please advise...

Thank you!

Dan