hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Blair ...@synth.org>
Subject Serializing HttpState
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:20:13 GMT
Hi,

Please forgive me if this has been answered before...I searched the
archives and didn't find anything.

First off, I'd just like to give a quick kudos to the developers.
HttpClient has made my life easier on a couple of projects, so for that
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone involved.

However I'm running into a small issue in that HttpState (and
Credentials) isn't serializable.  I'd like to use just http
authentication, but I don't want to have to enter user/pass information
each time.  Cookie does seem to be Serializable, so it seems like the
rest of HttpState could be also.  If I have to, I'll create Serializable
subclasses of HttpState and Credentials, but I thought I'd ask here
about the possibility of HttpClient supporting serialization of those
two objects.  So I guess my questions are:

1) Is there a design decision or technical limitation that I'm missing
which makes those two objects purposefully not serializable? (i.e.
security concerns over saving username/password in an insecure format)

2) If no to #1, is there any chance of getting this feature included in
HttpClient?

3) If yes to #2, would it be helpful for me to provide the necessary
code changes to make this happen?

Thanks,
Tim