hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjeev Tripathi" <sanjeev.tripa...@parago.com>
Subject RE: [httpClient] RE: [httpClient] and getAttribute parameter in servlet
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:03:07 GMT
My manager want me to use HttpClient in thick client side(UK) and servlet in (US). I can use
either HttpClient or URLConnection. He don't want to create web service neither any thing
else.

Thanks.
Sanjeev tripathi

-----Original Message-----
From: Ortwin Glück [mailto:ortwin.glueck@nose.ch]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 12:51 PM
To: HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: [httpClient] RE: [httpClient] and getAttribute parameter in servlet

Sanjeev Tripathi wrote:
> No I am investigating things for HTTP Client only. I am Building a
> thick client for already existing mvc based servlet. I can modify
> servlet to achieve functionally but business layer won't be touched
> and communication will be Only through servlet  and using http client
> at thick client side.
>
> Thanks. Sanjeev Tripathi

So I was right. You actually *should* use something like RMI, XML-RPC,
SOAP or CORBA to communicate between a thick client and the application.
You won't need to touch the business layer.

HttpClient is well-suited to transport the data for Webservices like
XML-RPC and SOAP. RMI and CORBA both use non-HTTP protocols.

Actually both Apache XML-RPC [1] and Apache AXIS [2] can use HttpClient
as a transporter. However Apache XML-RPC's HttpClient support is quite
basic (for not to say bad) and not stable at the moment.

[1] http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/
[2] http://ws.apache.org/axis/

  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer