hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject HLCA: Thoughts on HttpState
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:31:09 GMT
Hello folks,

the HttpState class in it's current form combines two aspects
which I believe are fundamentally different:

a) Credentials - application controlled, never changed by
    automatic processing of responses. Basically read-only.

b) Cookies - HttpClient controlled, updated automatically
    when responses are processed. Read-write.

I would prefer to have separate classes for this. Think about
an application that wants to use the same credentials for
different HTTP sessions, which require different HttpState
objects. Or an application that doesn't want to have a
cookie store at all, which was the problem I ran into.

The credentials are much more a configuration thing than
an actual state. Like different proxy settings for different
servers.
The cookies, on the other hand, are a state that can change.
Other examples for such state information would be a set
of permanent redirects received, or the cache of HTTP
versions from next-hop servers mentioned in RFC 2616,
section 8.2.3, second to last paragraph.

cheers,
  Roland