hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Minimal JRE requirement for HttpClient 4.0
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:09:19 GMT
Hi Julius,

I understand your concerns. In this case however, we can
give very precise guidelines. That's mainly because there
would only be the 1.4 NIO implementation to choose from,
at least for a while :-)
After that, it's: use the 1.3 IO implementation only if you
have to. And hopefully, we would have the performance
statistics to back that up.

I don't think the end users will have to make a choice
here, it's the application developers that decide. I also
imagine some kind of autoconfig class that tries to load
the NIO implementation and falls back to IO if that fails.
There would be a section about choosing NIO or IO in
the documentation on the web site. Of course some
people won't read that and will post a question on the
mailing list, but they are easily directed to the web site.

No, you are not annoying at all. The more input we get
for this discussion, the better the choices that will be
made. Thank you for addressing a real-life concern
which at least I would have overlooked otherwise.

cheers,
  Roland

Julius Davies <juliusdavies@cucbc.com>
25.01.2005 20:28
Please respond to
"HttpClient Project"

HttpClient Project <httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [POLL] Minimal JRE requirement for HttpClient 4.0

Hi,

I haven't really been following this discussion, but this dependency
table caught my eye:

> http-common-api         depends on 1.3
> http-common-implIO      depends on 1.3
> http-common-implNIO     depends on 1.4

Personally, I don't like it when applications ask me to choose an
implementation (Apache2's thread-model, for example!).  I never feel
like I have adequete information to make a choice.  The implementations
might as well be called "Door Number 1" and "Door Number 2".

In this specific case one might argue that java developers understand
the difference between IO and NIO, and so we're informed enough to make
the choice.  But even if I know that I'm supposed to prefer NIO, I still
prefer the code that is running in 99% of installations.

What will the "default" out-of-the-box implementation will be?  Would
the end-user have to make some configuration changes?  (How much traffic
would these choices generate on this mailing list?)

Hope I'm not being annoying!  HTTPClient is fantastic, and I'm really
excited to see so much momentum behind it.

yours,

Julius