hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: HLCA: client vs server
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:35:48 GMT
Hi Michael,

> > No, they use thread pools. Once an incoming connection is accepted,
> > a service thread is allocated for handling all requests coming in
> > through that connection, sequentially.
>
> Using this model is would seem that a thread is tied up for the life of
> a keep alive connection.  Is this handled the same way when async
> support is available?  I was envisioning something more like the
> following:
> [...see below...]

You're right. It's better to have a pool for both server connections
and service threads. I guess I've been programming too much on the
service thread level lately. The service threads don't need a pool for
server connections, but the thread(s) handling the server socket(s) do.

Thanks to you and Odi for adjusting my perspective :-)

cheers,
  Roland