hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: HCLA: Pipelining support
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:05:43 GMT
Ortwin Gl├╝ck <ortwin.glueck@nose.ch> wrote on 13.01.2005 09:58:11:

> In our architecture draft at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/HttpClientApiRedesign
>
> we should identify and mark where pipelining should be implemented.
> This could go under the http-async package or could as well just be a
> connection manager implementation or HTTP client property.

An implementation for pipelining is where HttpAsyncLink meets
HttpConnectionManager. I would expect that pipelining will be
complex to implement as well as a trouble spot, and therefore
merits it's own component.

To make pipelining available in http-client without introducing
recursive dependencies, HttpConnectionManager would have to be
moved into it's own component. I would also move HttpConnection
and HttpMethodExecutor (and related classes) from http-common
to that component, mainly on the grounds that it is operational,
while all the other stuff in http-common is dealing with data
representation, conversion, and parsing.

In Summary:

* http-conn depends on http-common
  - HttpConnection et al
  - HttpConnectionManager et al
  - HttpMethodExecutor et al

* http-pipeline depends on http-conn, http-async
  - [to be determined]

If I get positive feedback on this, I will update the design
document over the weekend or early next week.

cheers,
  Roland