hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Manish Moorjani" <Manish_Moorj...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: [POLL] Minimal JRE requirement for HttpClient 4.0
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:06:19 GMT
Hi All,
I have used 2.x and 3.0,
I think 4.0 should be based on Java 1.5
I hae one suggestion, I don't know how much valid it is
Struts is also becoming a standard these days, can we have some plugin
which helps in the
Implementation of applications using struts ?

Regards,
Manish Moorjani
Infosys Technologies Ltd.
Phone: 91-44-24509530/40/50 Extn. 80395
"Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open"

-----Original Message-----
From: gc@mnc.ch [mailto:gc@mnc.ch]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 8:34 PM
To: HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: [POLL] Minimal JRE requirement for HttpClient 4.0

Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk 'at' apache.org> writes:

> Dear all
>
> We would like to know the opinion of HttpClient users whether the next

> major release of HttpClient (4.0) should
>
> [ ] stay compatible with Java 1.2
> [ ] be compatible with Java 1.3 and above [ ] be compatible with Java
> 1.4 and above [X] be compatible with Java 1.5 and above

Since both HttpClient version 2.x and 3.x are already fine tools and can
be used with older version of java, I think that new development (4.x)
should be based on latest and greatest tools available, if they bring
significant values (if 3.x is maintained when severe bugs are
discovered). When 4.x will be ready for production use, there is no
doubt java 1.5 will be ready for real production use too. Java 1.5
brings a very significant step forward for the language, and HttpClient
code could benefit a lot with reduced class-casts and more robust code
due to generics and enums.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau