hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: HLCA: client vs server
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:34:37 GMT
Hi Roland,

Thanks for the remedial lesson in server design.  Sorry if I'm a little
off topic here.

> No, they use thread pools. Once an incoming connection is accepted,
> a service thread is allocated for handling all requests coming in
> through that connection, sequentially.

Using this model is would seem that a thread is tied up for the life of
a keep alive connection.  Is this handled the same way when async
support is available?  I was envisioning something more like the
following:

  - A thread listens for connect operations on a server socket and adds
the opened sockets (connections) to a queue of pending async reads.
  - Requests are dispatched from the queue of connections to waiting
threads, which process a single request.
  - Once the request is processed the connection is either closed or
re-queued for further processing.
  - The queue/pool of connections is then responsible for closing
connections that either go stale or that haven't been serviced within a
certain period of time.

Again this is a little off topic, but I'm trying compare/contrast the
use case for the client and server side in regard to connection use.

Thanks,

Mike