hc-dev mailing list archives

From Julius Davies <juliusdav...@cucbc.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Minimal JRE requirement for HttpClient 4.0
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:28:25 GMT
Hi,

I haven't really been following this discussion, but this dependency
table caught my eye:

> http-common-api         depends on 1.3
> http-common-implIO      depends on 1.3
> http-common-implNIO     depends on 1.4

Personally, I don't like it when applications ask me to choose an
implementation (Apache2's thread-model, for example!).  I never feel
like I have adequete information to make a choice.  The implementations
might as well be called "Door Number 1" and "Door Number 2".

In this specific case one might argue that java developers understand
the difference between IO and NIO, and so we're informed enough to make
the choice.  But even if I know that I'm supposed to prefer NIO, I still
prefer the code that is running in 99% of installations.

What will the "default" out-of-the-box implementation will be?  Would
the end-user have to make some configuration changes?  (How much traffic
would these choices generate on this mailing list?)

Hope I'm not being annoying!  HTTPClient is fantastic, and I'm really
excited to see so much momentum behind it.

yours,

Julius