hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Minimal JRE requirement for HttpClient 4.0
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:39:53 GMT
1.4+

Here's my personal take on this.

There are always a group users or applications lagging behind in the
Java adoption curse. I think they should catch up by the time we hit the
BETA development phase. However, if a certain vendor makes a conscious
decision to not support Java 1.4 in their products, I feel very
reluctant to go an extra mile just to help them in their marketing
endeavors.

I do think NIO is a must for new asynchronous stuff proposed by Roland.
I have also made a lot of practical experience with IO/NIO programming
in the previous year and I do feel NIO can also help even in traditional
synchronous model (primarily with byte stream to char stream conversion,
which is believed to be the main bottleneck in the HttpClient 3.0). At
the same time I see a possibility for a compromise on this issue. We may
mainly need NIO in HttpParser, HttpConnection and http-async classes.
What if we tried to keep all the most fundamental classes and all
interfaces 1.3 compatible and encapsulated 1.4 stuff in a few concrete
classes, which potentially could be replaced with pre-NIO
implementations?  This may be quite difficult with http-async package,
though.

I find many Java 1.5 features very tempting. The main reason I am
against going Java 1.5 at this point because it would render HttpClient
unusable on many micro platforms. I suspect J2ME may never have many 1.4
& 1.5 features.

Oleg