hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient API redesign: high level component architecture (draft 1)
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:33:47 GMT
On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 15:40 -0600, Chris Lamprecht wrote:
> This is interesting.  I was thinking that after google desktop search,
> others may follow with a similar "mini-http server" running right on
> the client machine to provide the familiar browser interface (whether
> it be for search or something else).  I think a full J2EE
> spec-compliant servlet container may be overkill (and have too many or
> too large dependencies), but it would be cool to have a subset of this
> functionality.
>
> What did you have in mind for this component?

Chris, David, et al

I (dare I say we?) do not have any concrete ideas in mind at this point.
We would like to leverage our expertise based on several years of
experience with client side HTTP to extend the scope of the project into
the server realm. The whole point is that this should open up a lot of
opportunities for other people to join and start contributing (ideas or
code) and build upon the existing code base. Beyond that, anything goes:
embedded lightweight HTTP server, caching API, what not. If HttpClient
project end up being to constraining, there is always possibility to
spin off or join another project provided there's a healthy community of
contributors and users.

So, we do welcome new ideas/critique, new users, and potentially new
contributors.

Oleg