hc-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Johnson <sjohn...@mercury.com>
Subject RE: NTLM quality
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:15:59 GMT
Hi All,

Here is feedback from a person.
They might contribute their changes if desired.
---------------------
Thank you very much for the information about the HTTP client SiteScope uses. With the source
code available I
was able to work around the problem.

Apache HttpClient has two shortcomings preventing it to interoperate with JCIFS 0.7.3. First,
as I mentioned
before, it uses OEM encoding, while JCIFS 0.7.3 can only deal with 2-byte LSB UNICODE. Second,
the client does
not do NT authentication (surprise, surprise!), it only computes Lan Manager response. JCIFS
0.7.3 expects NT
authentication to be available.

So, essentially I had to rewrite the NTLM code in the client, to make it use UNICODE and NT
authentication by
default and replace it in the JAR file. Works like a charm.
Let me know,

Steve Johnson, Software Engineer, sjohnson@mercury.com
direct 720.564.6532
www.mercury.com