hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Brown" <chris92...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: How i can get information about the downloading process?
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:00:09 GMT
Hi Gaspar,

If you use some of the approaches that let HTTPClient do all the hard work
for you, you'll not have this feedback as far as I'm aware.

But it's quite simple to get this information yourself.  If you open the
connection and read data as a stream, you need to remember :

* the time (e.g. System.currentTimeMillis()) you started as a "long"
variable

* the total number of bytes so far read as a "long" variable, updated each
time you read some bytes from the stream

* you can determine the average speed so far by dividing the number of bytes
downloaded by the time taken so far (see both points above); that's not
necessarily your current speed

* for the percentage remaining, you'll need to know in advance the size of
what you're going to download (the HTTP response header "Content-Length"
should help here, but you're not always going to get this information, and
it's not always provided correctly by the server).

You'll want multithreading no doubt, so make your "download" object expose
this information through "getter" methods.  You can then display this on the
command line, in a progress bar, or whatever.

- Chris