hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Socket timeout
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:42:35 GMT
On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 10:54 -0800, KOTA, KUMAR (SBCSI) wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
>     Well the problem that I have seems to be because of the version of java
> I use.  Java 1.3 is throwing a "socket closed" exception, but this was not
> the case during earlier tests, it just suddenly appeared, I don't understand
> why that is????

Kumar, THIS IS A BUG IN IBMJSSE that affects only certain versions of
the library. I have no idea how else I am supposed to spell that out.
The latest fixpacks for the IBM Websphere app server and the developer's
studio usually contain the fix for it.

>  In any case, I went ahead and ran the same code under java
> 1.4 and it no longer throws this exception.  Since the code in production is
> in 1.3, I was wondering if there have been any "patches" or fixes for this
> problem specifically?

This is not a problem with HttpClient, rather it is a problem with IBM's
implementation of the JSSE.

You can go ahead and get the HttpClient source code, remove the
offending call (java.net.Socket.getSendBufferSize), and recompile the
library. I just do not understand what is the deal with not wanting to
apply the latest Websphere patches instead?

> P.S. - Just a side question, if java 1.4 is released with its own JSSE
> packaged in, then why would one need to use ibmjsse.jar?

One does not and should not.

Hope this helps

Oleg