hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Massimo Signori" <sign...@webscience.it>
Subject R: still got problems with too TCP connections open
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:46:50 GMT
My application is running on winXP with SP2, jre version 1.4.2_05 and
connection manager is default.

Massimo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:oleg.kalnichevski@bearingpoint.com]
Inviato: lunedì 25 ottobre 2004 14.00
A: HttpClient Project
Oggetto: Re: still got problems with too TCP connections open

Massimo,

What platform is your application running on? What is the JRE version?
What connection manager is being used: default (simple), multithreaded
or a custom one?

Oleg

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 13:49, Massimo Signori wrote:
> Hello, i'm still having a lot of problems with my code and with TCP
> connections; at this point I just don't know if the problem is HttpClient
> but I really don't know how to fix this problem...
>
> here's what my code do:
> Method downloadFileViaHttpClient downloads a ZIP file from a server while
> method notifyTimeServer notifies elapsed time to the server every 5
seconds.

> Now, here's the code:
>
> HttpClient is instantiated ONE time in both cases.
>
> private void downloadFileViaHttpClient(String remoteFile, String savePath)
> throws DownloadException {
>

>         try {
>             logger.debug("DOWNLOADING FILE... " + remoteFile);
>
>             method = new GetMethod(remoteFile);
>

>                 statusCode=client.executeMethod(method);
>
>                 FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(savePath);
>
>                 InputStream in = method.getResponseBodyAsStream();
>
>                 byte[] buffer = new byte[4096];
>                 int len = 0;
>                 while ((len = in.read(buffer)) > 0) {
>                     out.write(buffer, 0, len);
>                 }
>
>                 in.close();
>                 out.close();
>

>         }
>         catch	(Exception e) {
>              method.releaseConnection();
>             throw new
> DownloadException(DownloadException.DOWNLOADING_ERROR);
>         }
>         finally{
>             method.releaseConnection();
>         }
>     }
>
> And the other's method code:
>
> private void notifyTimeServer() {
>
>         logger.debug("notifyTimeServer, " + timerURL);
>
>         HttpMethod method = new GetMethod(timerURL);
>

>             logger.debug("Establishing connection");
>
>             try {
>                 statusCode = client.executeMethod(method);
>
>                 if (statusCode != -1) {
>
>                     logger.debug("Connection estabilished");
>                     byte[] responseBody = method.getResponseBody();
>
>                 }
>             }
>
>             catch (Exception e) {
>                 logger.error("Error calling jsp "  + e.getMessage());
>                                 //
>             }
>             finally{
>                 method.releaseConnection();
>             }
>
>     }
>
> NotifyTimeServer is called every 5 seconds... I call releaseConnection...
> but...
>
> Looking with TCPView the number of connections open... about 5000 !!!!
>
> Thanks to all for any help
>
> Best regards,
>
> Massimo

Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is
unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any
review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of
this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any
copies thereof from your system.