hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject Re: Connection timing out
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:25:03 GMT

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 06:24, Vinay Murthy wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I guess upgrading to HttpClient 2.0.2 seems to work as far as the
> connection timeout issue is concerned. Thanks for that.Was that an
> issue in 2.0-rc2 ?

I am not aware of any connection timeout related issue with any of RC
releases. We usually have a policy of supporting the latest stable
release and CVS HEAD only. That's the reason I asked you to upgrade

>  But I guess, I seem to be having problems with regard to cookie
> handling. I believe that the cookie that is sent by Yahoo! upon
> signing in, is not being handled properly by my code ; as a result of
> which it seems expired to the server. And hence I am led to the
> "Verify Password" page. The httpclient page does mention about
> Yahoo!'s cookies posing problems. Does the problem still persist?

Yahoo does a lot of nasty tricks to make scripted (non-interactive)
logins VERY difficult. I know of only one application, called MrPostman,
that provides some degree of support for Yahoo services

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mrpostman/mrpostman/src/org/mrbook/mrpostman/yahoo/YahooMailSession.java?view=markup

My advice is to take a very good look at the YahooMailSession source
code and tweak it to your specific needs

> Secondly, I got the following log warning:
> Oct 15, 2004 9:42:28 AM org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase
> getResponseBody
> WARNING: Going to buffer response body of large or unknown size. Using
> getResponseAsStream instead is recommended.

I believe the warning is self-explanatory

HttpMethod#getResponseBody tries to buffer the entire response content
in memory, which may be a pretty bad idea when dealing with large
response entities. Therefore we recommend using non-buffering
HttpMethod#getResponseAsStream method and implement a content
retrieval/buffering logic that is best suited for your specific
application.

Hope this helps

Oleg