hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Bjarne Rasmussen" <brasmus...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Performance
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:33:34 GMT
We've tried out the nightly and think there may be an issue in the
mark/reset code of
org.apache.commons.httpclient.ContentLengthInputStream.java (please see
attached for rudimentary fix). With this fix performance and
functionality is great.

Thanks,
Bjarne.

>>> olegk@apache.org 9/28/2004 11:52:56 AM >>>
Great news indeed. The reported performance boost does justify cutting
new release. Folks, how do you all feel about releasing HttpClient
2.0.2?

Oleg

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 00:38, Eric Johnson wrote:
> And I've finally gotten test results back from the appropriate people
here.

> In our test lab, between HttpClient 2.0.1 and the nightly, we found a

> difference of about 4ms per request.  As this was a live-test
> environment, with all of our application environment around
HttpClient,
> the total numbers are probably mostly irrelevant to HttpClient, but
the
> measurable improvement was entirely due to HttpClient changes.
>
> We have some other statistics, but I worry that those are misleading
for
> now, so I'm not mentioning those.  Hopefully, I'll be able to pass
along
> some concrete data at some point.
>
> For our purposes, the build otherwise looks stable.
>
> -Eric.
>
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >
> >Could you please grab the latest 2.0 nightly build and see if it
runs
> >stable enough for production purposes? When we have a couple of
reports
> >confirming adequate stability, we'll call for the 2.0.2 release
> >
> >Oleg
> >

> >On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 00:00, Eric Johnson wrote:
> >

> >>My read on Odi's statistics is that the patch has a pretty
consistent
> >>1ms impact on every request.  This corresponds pretty well with my

> >>understanding of the theoretical improvements behind the patch.  To
the
> >>effect that HttpClient's performance is affected, header parsing
will be
> >>faster, and reading the body of the connection will be roughly the
same,
> >>presumably because the client of HttpClient buffers large reads.
> >>
> >>On a 1Ghz machine, this patch means one million processor cycles
that
> >>can be put to a better use for *each* request.  That's more than
> >>benchmark optimization, I think.
> >>
> >>-Eric.

(I'm