hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: threads problem with many connections
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:41:35 GMT

Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We use HttpClient for performing several HTTP post in parallel in
> our applications. We have a problem when the server(s) receiving
> our HTTP post either answers very slowly, or goes mad and sends
> garbage data over and over: the connection stays open forever,
> but more important, the Java threads as well.

Those are all problems you can solve:

1. Garabage data
If it violates HTTP, you will get an appropriate exception. If the
content is not meaningful to you, your application should be able to
figure that out and abort the method.

2. Open connections
You can set timeouts for idle connections, so you will get a timeout
exception after a while. If the connection is active (i.e. client is
receiving data), your application should be able to figure out if it is
legitimate to stay open for such a long time and otherwise just abort
the method.

I can't see any problem with HttpClient here.

Ortwin Glück

  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer