hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Glück <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject Re: Problem with Preferences Architecture
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:53:38 GMT

Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug or I am not running this right.
>
> I am trying to get the preferences architecture to modify the http.useragent
> property at the client level, and then retrieve the value at the method and
> host level. The value gets percolated down to the Method level but the Host
> level value does not change and gives the global value. See code below.
>
> As per the 3.0 B2 documentation, the Method and Host params should try and
> retrieve the value of the http.useragent from their local cache, and if it
> they do not find it, should go up the heirarchy, till they reach the global
> params. Since in the code below, the value is set at the Client level, one
> lower than the Global level, it should be retrieved from the Client level
> for both Method and Host params.

Vikram, please ignore my first post.

The problem is, that HttpClient creates a new HostConfiguration object
internally and sets default on that. So your original object is not
modified. So within HttpClient the host configuration will use the right
user agent string. But you can not see this from the outside.

This is line 389 in HttpClient.java (HEAD):
  HostConfiguration methodConfiguration = new
HostConfiguration(hostConfiguration);

Ortwin Glück

  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer