hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.0 is kind of done. Feedback needed
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:13:15 GMT

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 16:00, Oliver Köll wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> >
> > Anyways, before things turn ugly, give us some feedback, pleeeeeeeeeeese
>
> Hi Oleg,
>
> i'm sorry, that i haven't given any feedback earlier, but i always felt,
>    that my understanding of HttpClient wasn't deep enough to qualify any
> criticism.
>
> The good news: i'm already using HttpClient 3.0a1 in production for some
> time (i preferred it over 2.1 because of the improved Cookie handling),
> and i haven't had any problems with it yet. Actually, i'm feeling that
> the "alpha" categorization isn't doing the software justice :-)

Hi Oliver,

I am glad you found HttpClient 3.0a1 useful. Actually HttpClient 3.0
internals are in a MUCH better shape that those of HttpClient 2.0.x.
HttpClient 3.0 is still considered ALPHA because we cannot yet commit to
stability of its API.

> I only have a minor feature request for the preferences architecture: it
> would be nice to be able to define default HttpMethodParams per
> HttpClient instance. (i'm not sure, but you may already have taken care
> of that).

I believe that can be fairly easy accomplished using existing API

option 1)
HttpClientParams params = new HttpClientParams(null);
params.setParameter("whatever", new Integer(1));
HttpClient client = new HttpClient(params);

option 2)

DefaultHttpParams.setHttpParamsFactory(new HttpParamsFactory()
  {
    public HttpParams getDefaultParams() {
     HttpClientParams params = new HttpClientParams(null);
     params.setParameter("whatever", new Integer(1));
     return params;
  }
});
HttpClient client = new HttpClient();

Options 1 and 2 produce similar results. See which one suits your
application better.

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers,

Oleg

> Otherwise, i'm a happy customer. Thanks for all the good work!
>
> Cheers, Oliver

Oleg Kalnichevski | Senior Consultant | BearingPoint | Switzerland
Phone +41 43 299 6449 | Mobile +41 79 653 2562 | Fax +41 43 299 6550
www.bearingpoint.com