hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject HttpClient 3.0 is kind of done. Feedback needed
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:52:01 GMT

Folks,

It looks like HttpClient 3.0 is not only ALPHA2 ready, it is almost code
and feature complete. There are only 5 open tickets targeted for 3.0
FINAL. It may take me just a couple of days to get all the remaining
issues dealt with, if needed.

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&product=Commons&component=HttpClient&target_milestone=3.0+Alpha+2&target_milestone=3.0+Beta+1&target_milestone=3.0+Beta+2&target_milestone=3.0+Final&short_desc=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time

Unless we start getting considerably more feedback, HttpClient 3.0
development will stall completely.

I sense there are lots of folks who are not willing to port their code
from 2.0.x to 3.0 because the 3.0 branch is still considered unstable.
At the same time HttpClient 3.0 will stay there unless people start
porting.

I think it is really import to call an API freeze rather sooner than
later. That will enable to drop newer releases in place of older ones
and should give people enough confidence to start the transition from
2.0.x to 3.0. But before the API can be formally frozen I would really
like to hear some feedback from our users and peer open-source
developers. So far we have had virtually no feedback on the new API and
I am concerned that we may see an avalanche of change requests as soon
as we formally announce the API freeze and move closer to the first RC.

How does everyone feel about it?

Please share your ideas with me. I also have a few, but they all range
from 'ugly' to 'very ugly' and may involve my wearing my 'Evil Comrade'
hat and threatening people with some nasty stuff ;-)

Anyways, before things turn ugly, give us some feedback, pleeeeeeeeeeese

Oleg