hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichev...@bearingpoint.com>
Subject RE: parameter of setHost method in HostConfiguration of httpClient
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:04:44 GMT

The former (option 1) is the correct one. The latter (option 2) _should_ work with the simple
connection manager but it is guaranteed to not produce the desired effect with the multi-threaded
connection manager

Oleg

-----Original Message-----
From: Karthikeyani K [mailto:karthikeyanik@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 18:58
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: RE: parameter of setHost method in HostConfiguration of
httpClient

Kalnichevski,
       I want to close the client connection once the method has been executed. Still I am
not clear.....Here is what I understand...There are two ways of doing it. Which option is
the proper way of closing a client connection. Is my understanding correct.

1)public  class myHttpConnectionManager extends SimpleHttpConnectionManager
        public myHttpConnectionManager() {};
        public void releaseConnection(HttpConnection connection) {
           super.releaseConnection(connection);
           connection.close();
       }

}
       HttpClient client = new HttpClient( myHttpConnectionManager);
        PostMethod method =  new PostMethod(http://test:80/test.html);
      //        After executing the post method when i try to close the
connection, i get the error message host is null
       method.releaseConnection();
      // Close the connection
      client.getHttpConnectionManager().releaseConnection().

 or

   2)    HttpClient client = new HttpClient( myHttpConnectionManager);
        PostMethod method =  new PostMethod(http://test:80/test.html);
      //        After executing the post method when i try to close the
connection, i get the error message host is null
       method.releaseConnection();
      // Close the connection
      client.getHttpConnectionManager().getConnection(method.getHostConfiguration()).close().

      Does this close the connection that was used to execute the method.

Thanks,
Karthi

"Kalnichevski, Oleg" <oleg.kalnichevski@bearingpoint.com> wrote:

Karthi,

Host configuration specified at the HTTP method level is not supposed to be propagated back
to the HTTP client level.

Try this instead

// Close the connection
client.getHttpConnectionManager().getConnection(method.getHostConfiguration()).close

Better yet, subclass the connection manager and make it always close connections upon release
(if that is what you want). The way you are trying to get this done seems a little flaky to
me. HttpConnectionManager#getConnection method will produce ANY connection for the given host
config, not the one that has just been used to execute the request.

Cheers,

Oleg