hc-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Bloch <bl...@laszlosystems.com>
Subject running with a policy file and system properties
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:35:14 GMT
I'm walking down the task of making a product that uses httpclient run
underneath a server with a java policy file.

I know httpclient makes threads and sockets and I believe I have these
"under control" (will be allowed or disabled), but I've seen some code
in the 2.0 code base that does

     System.getProperties().getProperty("foo").

Why would you do that instead of System.getProperty("foo") (which
requires only read access to the property rather than full read/write
access to all properties) ?

In general, in a server with a policy file, you shouldn't ever depend on
reading a property (because you might get a SecurityException).  I need
to either (1) catch the SecurityException or (2) use a simpler version
of the code that can be enabled without giving access to all system
properties.

-Eric